worm31



A Primer 
On Gardening in Tires




Well, that there is a low-rider tire bed. That particular bed is a nursery bed for some Spretnak romaine lettuce. Every green bunch you see is several lettuce seedlings. Click Here to see a photo-essay about how I transplanted and grew those lettuce plants to maturity. 

You can see these low-rider tire beds in several other pictures on they WORM web site.



3 comments:

  1. Using tires for a raised bed made sense to me, but at first I couldn't wrap my head around why bury a tire most of the way? Is it worth the work? Then I imagined a little bed of radishes, a little bed of lettuce, a cluster of broccoli over in that corner of the yard, the circle of herbs next to the back kitchen door, and it all seems so... ordnung, so good and orderly. The tire border lets us improve the soil we want within the tire, strong edging to define a mowing/weedwhacking border, and creating dots of food across the backyard. Neato!

    Just to throw another idea into the (tire) ring, for the hugelkulture wood mass, I'm going to use the used wood shavings from the chicken brooder. That wood has bound up a lot of nitrogen from the birds, and it should mallow/compost nicely over the next year under the tires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incurvatus—

    You have grasped the concept very nicely!

    Thanks for commenting here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth L. JohnsonJanuary 11, 2016 at 9:12 PM

    Oh, my! What a divine idea; or whizbang idea, actually! Using tires for my strawberry patch would be extremely helpful, separating the old mothers from the new babies. So organized, instead of chaotic sprawling! I would be able to know what is old, what to yank out after its lifetime, and what to keep. We have lots of old tires! Can't wait to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete