Tri-Growing Carrots
In 2014 I put a movie on YouTube showing my idea for ti-growing carrots. It has received a surprising number of views. If you have not yet seen that movie, and the three others I posted afterwards, I recommend them to you...
As you'll see from the movies, my technique for ti-growing carrots has evolved from what I describe on page 87 to 89 of the book. The difference is that I now plant my trip-carrots in holes that have been made in a thin layer of black plastic mulch. I don't use the tri-marker described on page 88, and the carrot seed pinches are placed a little closer together.
The concept of covering planted seeds really does bring up the seed quick (as the 1869 almanac excerpt on page 89 attests). To get carrot seed sprouts in only 4 days is remarkable. Here's a picture of the back of the carrot seed envelope showing that up to 3 weeks is normal.
Weeding of the carrots is virtually eliminated when they are planted in black plastic. Here is a picture of the carrot bed later in the season...
A lot of people wonder what kind of carrots I have planted in that YouTube clip. They are Bolero carrots. I grow them every year. Here they are at harvest time...
IMPORTANT INFORMATION
I tri-planted a bed of carrots in my 2015 garden and the planting was a total failure...
My failure was due to not following my own instructions, as explained in my book. You can read about what happened (so you don't have the same experience) at this link: Four-Day Carrot Failure
11-Day Parsnips!
Parsnips are notoriously difficult to grow because the seed can take up to a month to germinate. But in my 2015 garden, I employed shade discs over sown parsnip seed and they sprouted in 11 days. Here's a picture...
I planted three seeds in each circle and thinned to one parsnip plant. Here's a picture of the small section of bed where I tried this idea...
Here's a picture of the parsnip bed further in the season...
I didn't have to do any weeding in that parsnip bed. I will grow parsnips the same way next year, but I'm going to give the plants some wider spacing. Here are the first parsnips I dug late in the year...
Those are the first parsnips I've ever grown. Next year I'm going to try a variation of the "Carrots For Exhibition" Idea found on page 86 of the Idea book. I'm going to use a bar to make a deep, conical hole for each planting, and fill it with loose soil.










No comments:
Post a Comment