worm33



How to Grow 
Strawberries 
Of the Largest & Finest Quality




The berries above were grown by me using E.P. Roe's 1886 advice for growing strawberries of the largest and finest quality, as explained on pages 49 to 57 in my book. E.P. Roe knew what he was talking about, and the strawberries above are evidence of that. Those four berries are in a man's hand and they are gi-normous. They also tasted great.

I dare say those berries might match Roe's Jucundas—the ones that will stop a man running for a train, should they meet his eyes (see page 52).

However, there is a good chance that Roe's strawberries were even larger than the ones I grew. I say that because he expressly states that the best soil to grow strawberries on is a well-drained loam, tending towards clay. My soil is of a sandy, silty nature. If I had more clay content, my strawberry plants would probably have grown much larger, as Roe explains on page 51.

It is interesting to see that, before Professor William Albrecht discovered clay soils were naturally more fertile (because of their high "cation exchange capacity"—see page 113), E.P. Roe fully understood that fact.

To learn more about (and see more pictures of) the strawberries I grew using E.P. Roe's advice, be sure to check out How To Grow Your Own Hugelberries.

About E.P. Roe
.
E.P. Roe at 26, years old, as a Chaplain in the Civil War

I am fascinated with E.P. Roe, and not just for his strawberry-growing advice. He was a man who packed a lot of accomplishments into his short lifespan. If you would like to read more about him, I recommend the following four essays, which I posted to my "Deliberate Agrarian" web site a few years back:







E.P. Roe





No comments:

Post a Comment