Dateline: 10 April 2013
How to Make a Whizbang
T-Post Trellis Span
(click on pictures to see larger views)
T-Post Trellis Span
(click on pictures to see larger views)
![]() |
| This is a T-post trellis span of peas (Champion of England). The trellis netting is extruded polypropylene. Trellis height is 7'6" |
![]() |
| Aren't peas lovely! |
![]() |
| These are pole lima beans that I grew on a T-Post trellis span using polypropylene netting. |





My tomato trellis was so successful!! My friend, Julie, tried it too after I loaned her the Planet Whizbang Idea Book of Gardening, and her tomatoes grew very well on her wire. We both used cattle-panel on t-posts! Only I don't recommend 'making do'. I had six foot, heavy-duty t-posts that I drove into the ground a foot; seemed nice and sturdy. Nope!! Getting my plants all the air and sunshine they need by trellising made them very tall and robust; and heavy!!! Late in the season some of the trellis fell because I didn't follow directions to use 7 foot t-posts, driven into the ground 18" to hold huge plants steady. I highly recommend the trellis for all kinds of vegetables. This method of Herrick's is highly successful compared to tomato cages, or staking!! I will never go back to disorganization, but will live and learn (and follow his directions)!
ReplyDeleteElizabeth—
ReplyDeleteThanks for the positive and instructive feedback on this idea!